Sunday, June 6, 2010

Melanie, Dad and First Blood

My lovely daughter, Melanie is due to arrive in Houston in about two weeks for some "Daddy time" and I can't wait to see her walk out of the Jetway.  This will be her second trip to Texas since her mother and I split.  The fact that we now live apart from each other and are separated geographically by 1300 miles and five states make this long awaited reunion all the more special.  To say that Melanie has my heart is the "mother" of all understatements.  I fell in love with her the moment I held her for the first time in the St. Mary's Hospital (yes she is Texan by birth) in Port Arthur, Texas a little over 12 years ago. 

I will always remember that night for two reasons.  One is obvious and the second is surreal.  Melanie's due date was February 2nd and she was making us wait.  The action started the afternoon of the twelfth and proceeded into the late evening before the Doctor on call finally decided he would have to help Melanie arrive into this world.  The doctors and nurses were doing their jobs while I sat basically out of their way.  I remember thinking (1) how cold it was in the delivery room and (2) how forcefully the doctors where going about extricating Melanie from the womb.  I guess they saw the terrorized look on my face because I could not see what they were doing behind the cover.  Here's where it gets surreal.  They began cracking jokes and acting like they were being careless in performing their duties.  The assisting surgeon even acted like he had Melanie in his arms and then pretended to throw her to the nurse like they were playing catch.  I know they were trying to lightened the mood.  I get that (now).  I remember thinking I'm going to go Rambo on them.  Then I saw the nurse place Melanie gently into Marie's arms and I forgave them their trespasses immediately.

I walked out to tell the waiting family of her safe arrival on wobbly legs and began to cry with joy.  I tell you all this because I think about that night as the greatest day I have ever experienced and that although I forgave the doctors and nurses their imaginary transgressions against my family I will never forget.  After all, "I didn't draw first blood" right?

2 comments: